Booting Parted Magic on Macs

The current release no longer has this issue or a solution was found

Booting Parted Magic on Macs

Postby dandoe » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:39 pm

Hi guys,

Got some experiences on using the 2013-09-26 version on several Macs here, thought I should share in case someone needs them.

The pmagic_2013_09_26.iso disk image file can be mounted, but cannot be burn on CDs or restored using Disk Utility. I suppose that's because the iso is Ext2 formatted?

I tried copying all files in the iso into my FAT32 formatted USB drive and luckly it did work. Booted and did the job I needed (ATA secure earse my SSDs), on my Mac Pro 2010 and iMac 2011.

However, it didn't work on my Mac Mini 2011 and MacBook 2008, got stucked on "Setting up system devices" using default settings (Runs from RAM) and "PMAGIC_2013_09_26.SQFS" wasn't found while using Failsave mode. Pretty much drescribed on other posts.

Hopefully Patrick or any of you experts here will find a solution for this, I wouldn't mind help testing but that's all I can contribute, as you probably know I have zero knowlage of EFI, or Linux, or whatever...

Cheers
dandoe

Re: Booting Parted Magic on Macs

Postby dandoe » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:37 pm

So after digging around a bit, I was able to boot my Mac Mini up using "Radeon no modeset" or "Black / blank screen workaround" under failsave and it brought me to this "Parted Magic Main Menu".

No luck with Xorg or Xversa using various settings, and I don't think either Clonezilla / TestDisk / Partition Image is what I want, so my questions, is there anyway to do a ATA secure erase for my SSD under shell?

Thanks!
dandoe

Postby Patrick Verner » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:01 pm

Patrick Verner
Site Admin

Postby Patrick Verner » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:07 pm

When you get as far as you did, dump to the console and do this:

rm -f /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/*

And then see if Xorg will start.
Patrick Verner
Site Admin

Postby dandoe » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Still no luck with Xorg, but guess what, thanks to your RTFM bash :D , I was able to use hdparm to ATA secure erase my Mac Mini's SSD!

Some notes:

By following the instructions, I noticed that my SSD was in "frozen" state, I tried put my Mac to sleep using the suspend to RAM method, but the monitor wouldn't turn on when my Mac woke up from sleep. So I connected it to my network and did the rest of the job through SSH.

Thanks very much for your help. And if you'd like to know, the graphic chip of my Mac Mini is AMD Radeon HD 6630M, it's the cause of not booting normally, I suppose?

Cheers
dandoe

Postby ChriWo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:43 am

Hi,

I found a way to build a working USB stick on a MAC to boot MAC’s and PS’s
1 Download pmagic to Desktop (tested with pmagic_2013_11_11.iso)
2 Open the Terminal
3 Convert the .iso file to .img using the convert option of hdiutil
hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o ~/Desktop/pmagic_2013_11_11.img ~/Desktop/pmagic_2013_11_11.iso
Note: OS X tends to put the “.dmg” ending on the output file automatically please delete “.dmg”.
4 Run diskutil list to get the current list of devices.
5 Insert the USB stick.
6 Run diskutil list again and determine the device node assigned to your flash media (e.g. /dev/disk3).
7 Run diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN (replace N with the disk number from the last command; in the previous example, N would be 3).
8 Execute sudo dd if=~/Desktop/pmagic_2013_11_11.img of=/dev/rdiskN bs=1m. (replace N with the disk number from the last command; in the previous example, N would be 3)
(If you see the error dd: Invalid number '1m', you are using GNU dd. Use the same command but replace bs=1m with bs=1M)
(If you see the error dd: /dev/diskN: Resource busy, make sure the disk is not in use step 7)

9 Run diskutil eject /dev/diskN and remove your flash media when the command completes.

10 Restart your Mac and press alt/option key while the Mac is restarting to choose the USB stick.

Regards ChriWo
ChriWo

Postby stevensedory » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:26 pm

ChriWo,

I followed your instructions. The files show on the flash drive, but it isn't recognized on the boot selection screen.

Does the drive have to first be formatted a certain way before following your instructions?
stevensedory

Postby thenetstriker » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:17 pm

I have exactly the same problem with my iMac. (late 2009) I've also set the nomodeset option to solve the black screen issue and now I also see the "Parted Magic Main Menu", but I need to have Xorg working because I want to use GParted on my MAC to transfer my Bootcamp installation to an external drive. I've also tried to execute "rm -f /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/*" and tried different Xorg drivers and resolutions but nothing works. I've copied the Xorg.logs and uploaded them to pastebin:

Xorg using radeon driver: http://pastebin.com/HDrPuxhM
Xorg using vesa driver: http://pastebin.com/1PjNtrCb

Does anyone have an idea how I can solve this problem?
thenetstriker

Postby Patrick Verner » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:33 pm

It's hard to say what model you have. Is it the one with ATI graphics?

If so, try this. Hit <TAB> at the first boot screen and add:

radeon.modeset=0 nomodeset

to the end. You could also try using an external monitor. Maybe the screen itself is a problem.
Patrick Verner
Site Admin

Postby thenetstriker » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:03 pm

Patrick Verner wrote:It's hard to say what model you have. Is it the one with ATI graphics?

If so, try this. Hit <TAB> at the first boot screen and add:

radeon.modeset=0 nomodeset

to the end. You could also try using an external monitor. Maybe the screen itself is a problem.

Yes, my iMac has an "ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB" grapihcs card. I've tried this mode but this fails with the same error in Xorg.log. I've directly modified the grup loader in\EFI\boot\grub.cfg. (I' am booting from an usb stick because the internal drive of my Mac doesn't work anymore) The config now looks like this:

Code: Select all
set default_settings="edd=on vga=normal"
set mac1_settings="edd=on vga=normal nomodeset"
set mac2_settings="edd=on vga=normal radeon.modeset=0 nomodeset"
set live_settings="boot=live eject=no"
set linux_64="/pmagic/bzImage64"
set initrd_img="/pmagic/initrd64.img"

menuentry "MAC1"{
   search --set -f $linux_64
   linux $linux_64 $mac1_settings
   initrd $initrd_img
}
menuentry "MAC2"{
   search --set -f $linux_64
   linux $linux_64 $mac2_settings
   initrd $initrd_img
}

I've also tried to connect an external monitor on the DisplayPort, but PartedMagic always selects the main display. (and since it's an iMac I cannot simply "unplug" it) ;)
By the way, I also had this problem when booting Ubuntu and could not find a solution to the problem either. When using Windows 8 I had to disable the automatic driver download to solve the problem, so I think it could be a grapics driver problem. Do you have another idea how I can solve this problem? Would it be possible to switch to an older ATI grapics driver or something like this?
thenetstriker

Next

Return to Solved